Monday, April 09, 2007

Web Analyst Interview: Apurba Sen

Continuing my series of Interview with Analysts, here is my interview with Apurba Sen from India.

What is your current position and the name of the company you work for?
I am working as a Product Manager at Rediff.com India Ltd

How long have you been working in this fields?
About 2 Years

Tell me about your work, education prior to your job in Web Analytics.
My work encompasses understanding the Indian consumers need gap and developing & managing solutions fitting that requirement. Prior to Rediff, I pursued my MBA in marketing & information science.

Why did you chose a career in Web Analytics?
Web Analytics and Web data interpretation forms a very crucial part in Product Managers key responsibility areas in analyzing online user behavior & segmentation. So I did not actively seek web analytics job, it is part of my core responsibility.

How did you find your new job?
I found the job through Campus Recruitment.

What are your job responsibilities?
My day to day responsibilities include, keeping track of services I manage through KPIs, accounting any abnormal changes in the metrics, keeping track of trends and adding up features to the services fitting the trends.

Describe your typical work day.
I reach office by 10 AM .After replying back to important emails and customer complains / requests its time to analyze MIS report. Any reported issue calls for immediate brain storming with concerned team(s).

A Product Manager is generally single point of contact for cross functional internal & external teams i.e. design, development, marketing, sales. Pre-lunch and post lunch sessions are generally spent in meeting various in house and remote teams to assess the developments on individual services in pipeline.

Evening…its time to hit some interesting sites like Techcrunch , Web Analytics discussion forum, thus getting involved into some serious reading till I leave for home at around 8 PM.

Has you MBA helped you in Web Analytics?
Of course my MBA in addition to great forums like Erics ,Web Analytics Discussion Forums has helped me in Web Analytics.

What Skills and education, in your opinion, are critical for a Web Analyst?
In terms of education any advanced course in statistics should work as a passport to Web Analyst job. He/She should be genuinely good at collating different industry information.

What education is lacking, education or experience that would have helped?
I suppose, a very specific courses in line of WAA-UBC could be little more helpful in delving further into this arena. :-)

What web analytics/online-marketing books have you read and/or own?
For web Analytics, I mostly read white papers. But I read a lot of books on Online marketing.

Which book(s) have you helped in your new job or finding new job?
One name I must mention: Blue Ocean Strategy

What is this book about?
It is a book by professors W. Chan Kim and RenĂ©e Mauborgne, from the INSEAD. It’s on making the competition irrelevant through “blue ocean” value chain.

What are the major challenges you are facing in this industry?
Strictly in Indian context-lack of web analytics vendor support. They are too obsessed with selling solutions only. The other side, online industry end, people are very little aware of WAs true strength.

How do you make sure you are learning and growing in this field?
I keep learning by participating discussion forums and reading books.

Do you have blog? If yes, what kind of article do you write?
Yes, I have a blog, http://apurba.rediffiland.com. The articles are management thought oriented and ranges from Branding to game theory.

What is your advice to aspiring web analysts?
I would say, there is a bright prospect ahead, especially if you are into Indian Internet market. You can make your mark here, if your basics are just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would like to hear your comments and questions.